Well, the 6 Month mark has come and gone. Am I where I had hoped? Not really. Am I proud of what I have accomplished? Yes. Very proud. What have I been up to for the last Month?
1. Continuing with sentences. Yes, I feel like I finally hit pay dirt with this method. I am really getting a grasp on grammar this way without studying the boring textbook stuff. I have found that once I get the layout of a sentence, I can mix and match verbs, nouns, adjectives, and adverbs to come up with dozens of variations for each sentence. This is VERY motivating as it feels like I am learning things at a quick pace.
2. Vocabulary. I have been slacking on new vocab words this last Month and concentrating on solidifying the vocab I already have. I try to use a lot of “self talk” to force this vocab into my active use but it is tough without easy and consistent access to native speakers.
3. Verbs. I have been pushing the verbs hard this Month and I am having mixed results. It seems like every time I learn 10 new verbs, I find a need for 20 more that I don’t know yet. Language really IS all about verbs.
4. I signed up for Lang-8.com and have been submitting material for correction as well as correcting other people’s submissions in English. If you have not checked this out, do so.
5. MUSIC! I know, every post I’m sure I’ve found the ultimate learning tool and this one is no different. I found some German songs on Youtube that I liked and I imported them to my iPod. I have been listening to this pretty consistently. What I do is: listen to a song all the way through about 3 or 4 times. I pick up a few words here and there and try to figure out what it is about. Next, I pull the German lyrics of the internet and follow through with the song a few more times. I pick up a lot more this way. Finally I pull the English translation off of the internet and go through the song a few more times. After this, I find that I really understand the songs and can stop focusing on translation and just enjoy the songs.I have learned a lot of good stuff this way. Here are a few bands to check out: Rammstein (heavy), Bosse (light rock), Tokio Hotel (Pop-punk), and Azad (rap). Much more enjoyable than studying grammar!